Around 1763 the ‘Burghers’ began services in Duns riding school. In 1770 they built a church next door and obtained their first minister. An enormous church seating 1,008 replaced this in 1821 – the largest capacity of any dissenting church in Duns – and costing nearly £2,000. By 1881 capacity had reduced to 900. Early in 1895 the West and South congregations began combined services, alternating weekly between each building, and in April the congregations united and the West church closed. Only £170 was obtained for the building, which now forms two houses at the corner of Gourlay’s Wynd and the Clouds.
Names: Duns ‘Burgher’ (1763-1820); Duns West United Secession (1820-47); Duns West UP (1847-95).